Monday, March 5, 2007

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

I freely admit it - I'm naturally inept with computers. I touch a button and I wreck the whole thing, and that is only a slight exaggeration! Even though I have grown up using computers, there are constantly so many new features and programs that I have a hard time keeping up with the changes. I sometimes feel like an elderly person trying to figure out all this "new-fangled" stuff. But I have discovered lately that learning how to use computers is a process that naturally requires some trial and error. I used to get frustrated when I did not understand something right away, or when something did not work for me even though I was sure I was doing it right. After two months of taking this computer class, though, I have learned to relax and go with the flow. Sometimes it takes a few tries before I get something, but if I keep at it, my persistence usually pays off. It is a great feeling to solve a problem and learn something new at the same time. My advice for others like me who struggle with computers is this: be patient. Don't be afraid to try new things, and don't allow yourself to get frustrated. It's not worth your time or energy to let an inanimate machine ruin your day. If the computer freezes just before you get around to saving an hour's worth of work, though, feel free to shout at it.

4 comments:

Chantal said...

Good advice dear! And good news, I was able to find my assignment in a hidden back up file. So I'll put the hammer down for now, but I'll keep it close by just in case.

Char said...

From my high school yearbook: "I will miss you and the curses you yell at your sewing machine in textiles class"
Good for you for conquering your misgivings about using computers and new technology.
Char

Sarah said...

This is really good advice. I have always been considered the computer expert in my family even though I have very little knowledge about computers. However, I am the most willing to try new things and hit buttons until something happens. Sometimes this strategy can backfire but usually a little trial and error is all that is needed to make a computer program work.

Anonymous said...

There are two things in life I am very thankful for that have nothing to do with any effort on my part. 1) my metabolism (no matter how hard I try, I can't get fat!) and 2) my computer knowledge (I was born into it, and it's just part of me now). I often forget what it is like for people who did not constantly grow up with computers at their side, or readily available, or just did not consider computers as fun as I did.

Once again, I am impressed by your elegant use of the English language :)