Thursday, March 22, 2007

Going...Going...Gone

This morning I was discussing with my friend Krissy the advances in technology and how they cost us so much money and time. Well, maybe venting is a better word to use than discussing. For instance, the other day on the bus I noticed a man reading a business newspaper with the headline "Blue-Ray Predicts DVDs Will Go the Way of the Dinosaur Within Three Years". Aaargh! Didn't DVDs just go mainstream five years ago? What happens to the movies and TV shows that we've already spent money on? Will we actually have to buy them all over again? I know the same thing happened with VCRs, but they were around a lot longer than DVDs. And the same thing has happened with music, too - records, eight tracks, cassettes, CDs, MP3s... When will it ever end?! Sure, advances in technology make these things easier to use - CDs, after all, are easier to use and have better sound than records. And eight tracks were just a plain bad idea. But it's not as if we are hard done by if technology stops advancing. There is such a thing as being content with what you have. And it's frustrating because we have to keep spending money in order to keep up with all these upgrades. Call me a cynical, close-minded, stuck-in-the-mud pessimist, but it's just a big money making scheme on the part of the companies who are continually pushing for change. Sure, they have jobs that enable them to experiment with technology and stretch boundaries - that's cool. But must the entire population be forced to conform to all their whims? I don't know - the whole thing has just been bugging me lately. I just think that all these things add more complications to a life that is already complicated enough. It is hard to take pleasure in the simple things when we are constantly being forced to keep up with the rapid pace of change in this world, especially technology. Okay, this is starting to border on a rant now, and I don't want to go that far. To whoever has read up to this point, thanks for sticking with me. Am I the only one who feels this way? Does this resonate with anyone else? Or am I just being stubborn in my inborn resistance to change?

2 comments:

Chantal said...

I totally agree! It's almost not worth buying anything anymore because something new will come out and your thing will be obselete. Grrrrr!

Miss. Wallman said...

This was an enlightening blog. I remember our conversation about this and all I have to say is I stil agree with you. After Blue Ray they will most likely have mini-chips the size of a scandisk used for digital cameras for movies. Then we get to spend $600+ on a new machine to handle those chips. Your not at all being stubborn about this, because its changing ever too fast for us that soon you will be saying "back in the day those dvd players were quite the devices" and your grandchildren will look at you funny and reply "what are dvd players?"