Wednesday, April 11, 2007

TappedIn Tech Task

I finally went to a TappedIn discussion tonight. It just seemed like none of the other times discussions took place worked for me. It will be nice when the semester ends and life slows down a little! Anyways, the discussion I went to was about storytelling in the classroom. It was very interesting. The guest speaker was a man who designed a website where kids can create their own comic strips. In doing this they learn about story lines, sequencing, and plot development. It is especially good for autistic kids and ESL learners because it provides visual clues. This is also good for kids who simply struggle with words and language, because it combines words with pictures. This can give them the motivation to create stories and continue to develop their skills. Everyone can be successful with this, and feel a sense of accomplishment in their creation. The thing that most struck me was the variety of ways in which to tell stories. We can show even the most struggling or reluctant learner that stories are for them - sometimes we just have to think outside the box. It is part of human nature to tell and listen to stories; everyone likes stories. This discussion gave me lots of ideas and made me think. TappedIn is a great way for teachers from all over the place to collaborate with each other and share ideas. I think I may just use it in the future.

1 comment:

Chantal said...

hi dear!
what's the website? i wouldn't mind going to it and making a comic strip! love you!