Friday, January 12, 2007

Tech Task #1

My name is Vanessa Richter. Some of my favourite things in life include my cat named Frank, red velvet cake, figure skating, and Monty Python. I am 22 years old and grew up in the little town of Nokomis, Saskatchewan. I lived there with my parents and my sister who is three years younger than me. I went to the same school from Kindergarten to Grade 12, which was a great experience. After graduation, I attended Briercrest College for three years, where I received a BA in General Studies. Ever since I was a kid I knew in the back of my mind that I wanted to be a teacher, yet I did not want to commit to anything until I was absolutely sure. I had a lot of time to think about what kind of career I wanted during my time at Briercrest, and came to the conclusion that I definitely wanted to be a teacher. I am now in my second year of the Elementary Education program at the U of R, but because I have a semester’s worth of transfer credits from Briercrest, I am currently taking the classes that I would normally be taking in my eighth semester. This means that I will end on my internship, which everyone in their fourth year tells me is a great thing!

My first experience with computers was in elementary school, with the old computer screens that were composed of fragmented images in orange and black. The Mavis Beacon typing program was obligatory, and in our free time we got to play games like “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?” and “Midnight Rescue”. My family bought their first computer when I was ten years old. Oh, the excitement! I used that computer to play many games, and as I got older, to type out school assignments. When I was fifteen we bought a new computer that could handle the Internet. I didn’t use the Internet that often, only to e-mail and do research for assignments. Up to this point, that is basically what I have used computers for – to type essays, e-mail people, and look up information. I often find myself annoyed with friends who spend all their spare moments on the Internet, and I think it is especially rude when they are IMing at the same time they are talking to me on the phone. I guess this explains my limited use of computers – I see how they have the potential to make us a self-centered, isolated society, and I don’t want to be a part of that. However, if used properly I think computers are useful tools in communicating and learning, and I would like to gain more knowledge of how to use technology to its best advantage.

I think that technology can be a powerful educational tool in the K-12 classroom. A whole world of ideas and information can be readily accessed, and kids can use computers to present their assignments in non-traditional ways. Kids who struggle with reading, writing, or math may be exceptionally good at using computers, so it gives them a chance to succeed at something and boosts their self-esteem. Technology can also increase their global awareness, helping them understand that there is a world beyond their own experience, with people who are just like them but who lead different ways of life. It helps them realize that they are part of a larger community. While I think technology can be used effectively in classrooms, I also think that its use should be limited. Kids need plenty of personal interaction and hands-on experience. They need to learn how to do research in a library and experience the pleasure of holding a book in their hands. It must be emphasized to them that although computers are great for learning and communicating, they are merely tools to accomplish these aims and should not be used at the exclusion of other forms of learning.

Through this class I want to learn more computer skills and grow more confident in using technology. I want to discover websites and resources that I can share with my students and that will aid me in my teaching. Teachers must stay current if they want to effectively interact with their students; technology is here to stay and is slowly transforming the way we live. I think it’s important for me to educate myself as much as possible about technological trends so that I can view them critically and use them to their best advantage. Right now I feel a little out of my comfort zone in this class, but I hope that by the end of this semester I will feel more comfortable with technology.

No comments: