Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Life Without A Computer

While I was home over Reading Week, I was unable to use the Internet because my family's computer had gotten some sort of virus. For the first time, I actually took into account how many times a day I think about going on the computer, because I would have to stop myself and say, "Wait a minute - I can't." Whether it was checking my e-mail, checking out a website, updating my blog, or looking up information, I suddenly realized how dependent I have become on computers. It didn't drive me crazy, though. In fact, I actually found it added to my relaxation over the week. I didn't feel obligated to respond to e-mails, and I didn't miss out on anything. Sure, I was happy to be able to use a computer again when I returned to Regina on Sunday, but I really enjoyed my time away from the computer. Instead I baked cookies, read books, and found other things to do with my time. I discovered just how much time I spend in front of the computer, often with nothing to show for it. I would seriously challenge everyone to try going without their computer for a week or even a couple of days when it suits them. It's an interesting and thought-provoking experience!

4 comments:

Miss. Wallman said...

HEY! I totally agree the dependency we have on computers. On weekends, I wouldn't have access to computers a great deal since I am in Moose Jaw and half the time not knowing where I will be... but I see the relaxation in it. There are a lot more productive things to do in your life than computers and lately I have gotten to thatpoint where I don't HAVE to be on all the time... much rather go over to my buddy's house and watch movies (on a Rocky kick right now) or just hang out!

Chantal said...

hi beautiful
I can totally relate... well sort of. My computer is not working so I don't have internet when I leave school. It's crazy how much free time you have and how much homewrok you can get done when there is no computer distractions.
Love you dear, hope you had a great break!

Heather Willer said...

Many hours can be almost wasted on the computer. This is not to say thatI hate the internet I believe that they can be super useful and connect you to the world but I think at times you lose that personally connection. I really liked how you spent the week making cookies and being with your family, I think everyone needs to take time to do this. I feel it reconnects you to who you are! Great challenge!

Anonymous said...

I want to just weld my computer to my side. That's where it is 24/7 anyway. MSN messages wake me up in the middle of the night, I take my laptop upstairs when I go to cook supper. I am always connected... scary when I'm not, but I deal well. Christmas *shudder* is always 4 days without internet.